- 4 - 4 oz ramekins
- 1 - 13 x 9 inch baking pan
- 1 Cup of heavy cream
- 2 TBS plus 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 Extra large or Jumbo egg yolks
- 1/2 A-Grade (6 inches long) Vanilla Bean or 1 TSP of extract
- Preheat oven to 300ºF and boil some water.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cream and 2 TBS of sugar.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until small bubbles appear at the edges of the pan (5-6 minutes).
- In a bowl beat egg yolks with the seeds scraped from inside the 1/2 vanilla bean until smooth and light.
- Slowly temper eggs with the hot cream, then return the egg mixture to cream pan.
- Strain the hot mixture and fill each of the 4 - 4oz ramekins with the mixture.
- Put baking pan in oven and a arrange the filled ramekins so that they are separated.
- Fill the baking pan with boiling water up to 3/4 of the ramekins.
- Bake until custard is set, about 25 minutes.
- With tongs remove the ramekins from the baking pan and leave it in the oven to cool.
- Chill ramekins for 2-3 hours.
- Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the cooled custards.
- With a propane torch flame heat the sugar on top of each ramekin in a circular motion until golden brown.